GET INVOLVED IN LOI KRATHONG

by - 4:08 AM

Continuing my adventure story in Thailand. So, last Monday on 14 November 2016 I skipped my afternoon class. Umm, yeah it is because I want to celebrate Loi Krathong in Bangkok with my Indonesian friends. But, I’m not really often to skip my class, I swear! I also had asked my Thai friend to tell the Ajarn (teacher) in that class anyway #yeah.

For you guys who still don’t know what is Loi Krathong, I will tell you then or for more informations you can ask uncle Google. Well, as my friend said, Loi Krathong is a festival where Loi means float and Krathong is a small lotus-shaped container. This festival is celebrated by all Thais. Thais will float the Krathong on the river. My friend said that basically Thais float it to make a wish and another of my friend said it use to get rid of the bad things. But, another person that I know (You-Know-Who) he said the Krathong is made to give thanks to the river because water is important things for human life. At least he means “Without water human cannot live”. That’s right, I agree. Can you imagine if earth doesn’t have water? Of course, I die. You die. We die. And I think, there’s no human.

For all explanations that I’ve mentioned are true, but I you still doubt just go to uncle Google. But if you believe me, let’s continue :p

Another part in Thailand has different way to celebrate Loi Krathong Festival. For example in the North Thailand, Chiang Mai. Thais in there celebrate Loi Krathong and Sky Lantern. I don’t know exactly. But I heard from my friend who went there said she flew a Lantern also floated the Krathong. But in Bangkok, people only float the Krathong. Maybe because Chiang Mai hasn’t full with tall building and still near with wide nature, that’s why people can easily blow away the Lantern. I don’t know, just guess.

So, because I wonder how Thais celebrating Loi Krathong (although I have watched on Thais Movie). But, I am really curious. I want to float my Krathong #yeah. Then, I bought a Krathong near Tha Prachan pier. It’s 25 baht. There’s a lot of type of Krathong that Thais people sell. And variation price as well. The Krathong that I bought is from bread. My friend said, bread Krathong is better because fishes in the river can eat that. That makes sense. Each of us bought it.

The Colorful Bread Krathong
We went to Asiatique for celebrating Loi Krathong #YEAY. Again, my friend said Asiatique is the main place for this celebration. Before it was near Grand Palace but because of the King’s death, so it moved to there. That was my first time to visit Asiatique. And so crowded. I went there by boat from pier near Grand Palace (I forget the name). It took almost half hour. Lil’ bit longer, but I enjoyed the night view from boat. The lights was so pretty.

Asiatique The Riverfront (the complete name) is a large open-air mall in Bangkok, Thailand. I can say that this place is kind of a romance place for shopping. How come??! Well, it’s not only the place hear river (feels like Jack and Rose haha) but, there are many things which represent romance in this place. For example, a big white 'Ferris Wheel' which is as the point interest of Asiatique. If you go with your boy/girlfriend you must get inside and see the view of Bangkok on carousel together. That’s sweet. But it’s not free. You need to pay 300 baht for adults and 250 baht for kids. Expensive, yeah.
"My Krathong belongs to you*"
The another thing is a lock love umm a fence love umm or a fence lock love? I don’t know the name exactly. There’s a mini garden with many padlocks such as thing a bridge in Paris. Yup, you can lock your padlocks at the fence and write your name and your lovely person hahaha “Love in Bangkok” not “Love in Paris”. That’s sweet.

Because it was so dark, so this source by ameba.jp
Not only that two, you also can buy kind of souvenir as well. Oh yeah! If you interested with Ladyboy show you can find one place named Calypso Cabaret. But I think you have to book the ticket first. In here.

Back with my Krathong. I tried to float it by myself anyway. So happy because it wasn’t upside-down. I use a long bamboo to float it. Because the distance between the river and the ground is higher so people and I need a long bamboo. My Krathong represent my wishes.

;
Me and My Indonesian Friends before floating our Krathong 
So crowded, I felt like in Chatuchak. Then we went back around 9.30 PM by shuttle bus (it’s FREE). But, unfortunately the shuttle bus stopped behind the Grand Palace. I wished it will stop near Pin Klao, my friend’s dorm is in there. Finally, we took a Tuk-Tuk. Wasn’t really excited when I tried Tuk-Tuk because I was too tired and sleepy and hate the price #oops. But yeah, it was exciting day. At least, I’ve got something new related about Thai culture. 




SEE YAAA GUYS! #YEAH
BYE BYEEE







Thanks for reading
warm hugs
Nita

You May Also Like

4 Comment

  1. I was in Chiang Mai for the Loi Krathong, and I sounds life it was a different experience than yours. Did you put any hair or fingernail clippings in your Krathong? One of the Thias I was with said I needed to do that in order for wishes to be heard. I was just curious if you had heard of anything like that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. really? I didn't put anything on my krathong, it just a candle, incense and some flowers then float it. I also didnt know about that, maybe because I was with Indonesian friends (they don't know either).. that's interesting thanks for sharing your experience too in Chiang Mai;)

      Delete
  2. How you're linking to the ladyboy show...:D
    Nice that you went out to experience something on Loy Krathong. Did you also hear the loy krathong song?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the website and try to link it, there maybe someone who would be interested with it :D Oh, I just knew that. I only heard "This is what you came for" by Rihanna =D

      Delete